One of the most important things you can do is to establish yourself as an entertainer in the comedy scene. Everyone loves to laugh and even if you are not the best at comedy, you can make some headway by providing entertainment for others.
If you have been attending comedy clubs or even watching people on television, you probably realize that there are a lot of funny people out there. How do you fit into this crowd? Here are some tips on how to stand out in the crowd.
* Understand who your audience is. Your potential audience might consist of friends, family, coworkers, people you meet when you’re out on the town, strangers, or a group of people you just found on the Internet. Everyone is different and if you want to stand out you need to make sure you understand who they are.
* Find the common ground. This could be anything from common interests or common pastimes. It could also be something as simple as the fact that you like football or basketball. Whatever it is, find out what everyone else likes and start there.
* Know what the theme of the show is. Do you plan on wearing your favorite shirt, pulling a prank, or do you plan on watching a comedy so that you can talk about something you actually know something about? If you plan on going to a club, you might want to do some research and make sure you’re comfortable with what the topic will be.
* Know how long the set will be. You want to give the audience enough time to get to know you and your set so they can develop a good feeling for you.
* Be willing to improvise. This is one of the most important skills that you can learn for your career as an entertainer because no one wants to see someone just sitting around doing nothing.
* If you want to be a stand up comic you should be prepared to perform improvisational comedy. Improvisation is all about trying something new and surprising people.
* The most important thing to remember is that you need to listen to the audience. While some people might laugh more than others, everybody needs to laugh at some point during the performance. So make sure you take your time and let the audience know what they want to hear.
Remember, the entertainment experience can change people’s lives. If you can provide entertainment to others, you will have the opportunity to do just that.
If you decide to go to a comedy club, you might want to think about these ideas as well. After all, every comedy club has a different audience, so you might have to mix and match your jokes. By taking the time to understand the audience and how they respond to your comedy you will be well on your way to becoming an entertainer!